Sunday, October 7, 2012

mgmt


I have really enjoyed the textbook so far – Conscious Classroom Management (Smith, 2004). It gives so many practical ways to structure your classroom and how react in certain situations. What I especially like is the emphasis put on your own expectations of yourself as the teacher and your students. If you view yourself as not only a teacher of Spanish but also as a teacher of behavior then it won’t bother you nearly as much when your students don’t act as you would like them too. A student acting out is simply asking you to repeat your lesson. I think if I put some kind of note to myself in my classroom to this effect it will help me not to become so discouraged or disappointed. 




It was very interesting to note that good classroom management is essentially invisible. The teacher has already set everything up to run smoothly. (And when it comes to management the best defense is truly a good offense!) The question then becomes – how do we translate what we are observing into our own classroom? I wonder how much the dynamic of the classroom will shift once it is no longer Sra. Lewis up front. I definitely think that going over my expectations and rules at the beginning of my time as the teacher will be crucial.  Even if I don’t change anything from the way it is set up now it will be good to let the students know that they can expect the same from me. Also, they will have already been in school for half a year – I think it will be good to brush up on rules, procedures, and expectations anyways. I typically need to do so mid semester just to remember if my professor accepts late assignments or not. It is easy to forget so I will help them remember! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment