Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Spectrum of Students


I think that a typical classroom is going have this makeup: a spectrum of students with a wide variety of needs. I think one of the best ways to approach this situation is to pair students together. When the students who need more of a challenge in the class have the opportunity to aide a classmate they may feel a greater sense of accomplishment and be invigorated. The student who is struggling will have some one-on-one help from a more knowledgeable other (where’s this lingo coming from???).




I think the important thing to keep in mind is the sensitivity towards what group students are put in. Yes one student is helping the other but I wouldn’t want the student who is having difficulty to feel as if he is dumb or not as good as the other students. It would be important to me to create a community within the classroom. When it comes time for students to pair up and to work together there would already be a base of trust and openness. I wouldn’t want the student who is doing the aiding to feel overwhelmed with this task nor would I her to think too highly of herself. It would be a balancing act and I think at the center would be humility.


When I observed/aided in the Spanish I/II classes at The Potter’s House in Wyoming, Michigan the teacher I worked with often split the class into two groups and these groups varied from week to week, lesson to lesson. The group that had grasped the concept and showed that they were proficient at it would do some sort of culminating activity. Often, these students would construct a skit to perform for the whole class that encompassed the new skill that had been taught. The portion of the class that had struggled with the new concept benefited from extra time with the instructor, in a smaller setting, with new exercises and examples to help them master the topic.


I like this idea because the students who already mastered the concept are not expected to sit and be bored while the same material is retaught in a new manner. Instead, they get to show what they know. The students who need more time on that material are not penalized but actually get much more attention from the teacher. And the best part of all, just because a student is in the “review” group one week doesn’t mean that he will be stuck there the whole school year. There is the fluidity between the groups. Often when Christy (my cooperating teacher) thought a student was borderline between the two groups she allowed them to choose. And more times than not the student chose to review the material.


I hope that these and other ideas that you all have come up with will work in my future classroom!    

No comments:

Post a Comment